From the way you travel and consume food to your energy consumption and water usage, every of these activities have a huge impact on the environment. Reducing one’s carbon footprint is a great way to help reduce global carbon emissions. Here are 5 ways to start an ethical and green living:
1. Reducing air travel should be one of your top priorities if you are a frequent flyer. A single London to New York flight equals to almost a quarter of a person’s annual carbon emissions. For businesses, a great way to reduce air travel is through video conferences with clients and partners instead of flying to another country for a visit.
2. Opt for public transport instead of using your car everyday. If you have things to buy at the local market, take the bicycle or walk. Many people are opting to bike to work, especially with bike lanes becoming more prevalent in cities.
3. Eating less meat can make significant difference on your overall carbon impact. How? Cows and sheep emit large quantities of methane, a powerful global warming gas.
4. Improve your heating so that you don’t consume large amount of energy to heat your house. Invest more to insulate the loft and fill the cavity wall.
5. Make energy efficiency a primary consideration when choosing a new furnace, air conditioning unit, dishwasher, or refrigerator.