When thinking of the environment, we go directly to conserving water, soil and what not; but have we ever thought of creating something within our homes to make the environment happy? Well if not, then why not create an environmentally friendly home office? Many companies have taken the step towards making their office environmentally-friendly and some of them have been successful in doing so. If you own a home office, then here are 5 steps where you can create an environmentally-friendly atmosphere.
- Natural Light – Let natural light in most of the time! Open the curtains and blinds. You will not only save money on electricity bills but it will also reduce your energy consumption. Utilizing the windows in your home office will let the sunshine in and brighten your space. Light colors and strategically placed mirrors also enhance the brightening effect.
- Eco Decor – To help restore any imbalance in the office environment, decorate your space with indoor house plants. These plants help purify the air by reducing pollutants. Certain plants such as succulents take in carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. If possible, stick to native plants.
- Install Energy Efficient Appliances – The amount of energy used in your office will contribute to the health of the environment. Instead of switching off office appliances, why not start with changing the light bulbs to LED ones. LED lights are known to be 80% more efficient than incandescent bulbs and it lasts longer too. You can also opt for changing other office appliances to the energy-efficient ones. Instead of letting your computer on sleep mode, switch it off and unplug everything. To make it even easier, plug in several devices into a surge protector so you can switch them all off at once.
- Sustainable Materials – Today there is basically an eco-friendly alternative to everything we need, whether it is plastic-free packaging or reusable containers. You can use second-hand tools, up-cycled furniture or bamboo-floor boards.
- Green Hosting – According to a study undertaken in 2015, global internet activity is actually responsible for 2% of greenhouse emission which is similar to air travel. You must be thinking how to turn to green hosting, well make your internet scrolling and YouTube watching eco-friendly by switching to a sustainable search engine and reducing your carbon footprint.
It is possible to create an environment where you can use all eco-friendly products without any hassle without having the need to go back to the traditional ways.