– Use of hemp in the construction of a house
– Why build a house with hemp?
– Advantages and disadvantages of a hemp house
Building a house with hemp is, above all, an ecological and environmental choice. It is also a choice of life because a home constructed of hemp is not like a house made of bricks and blocks.
Historically, hemp has been known and recognized as a building material since the 1980s. How is hemp used? Why build a house with hemp? Legitimate questions this post will not fail to answer.
Use of hemp in the construction of a house
Hemp is an annual plant. In the field of construction, only one part of the plant is used: the hemp stalk, which is the inner part of the hemp stalk. The mixture used is the mixture of hemp with concrete and lime; we speak then of light concrete.
An essential property of this mixture is that it can be in formwork, allowing many possibilities in wall shape. It is easy to arrange the formwork boards as desired:
– If hemp is used for the exterior walls of a house, the minimum thickness advised is 25 centimeters.
– In practice, the mixing can be done in a concrete mixer or with a professional mixer.
– Factories are producing these bricks, and they use a particular manufacturing process to supply construction sites throughout the world.
Why build a house with hemp?
We build a house with hemp to have a healthy place without material harmful to health.
Then come other considerations such as humidity management which is done in a completely natural way thanks to hemp since, in wet periods, the walls will absorb the humidity. In contrast, in dry periods, they will restore it.
Note: there is no need to install a ventilation system, as hemp automatically and naturally manages humidity.
Building with hemp is also a matter of lifestyle choice because the atmosphere in such a house is different because of the view on the walls and partitions.
Imagine you would install the interior of a house where no wall covering is needed. The temperature, regulated by the thickness of the walls, allows significant inertia.
Advantages and disadvantages of a hemp house
The benefits are environmental:
– No products or materials harmful to health within the house.
– No VOCs and other substances that could harm the human body.
– Hemp is a non-flammable material and is repellent to pests.
– Hemp can be used as insulation which creates like an envelope since the walls are also insulating.
Regarding the disadvantages:
First of all, it is useless to think of launching out in the adventure without the builder’s specific training to teach him to make the good mixture, the proportions to observe, and the administrative steps necessary to undertake.
– Another critical disadvantage is the construction period: it is strongly advised to build and plaster your wall during the dry period.
Note: If hemp regulates the humidity level inside a house efficiently, it can rot if it remains in the water. And, you don’t want to see wall molding destroying your eco-friendly home.
Hope this post has given you an idea of how you can save the planet with a green home built with hemp! You should probably also have ideas to build a house while taking care of the earth. In that sense, please remember to share your experience in the comments below. This might be helpful for our readers who care for the planet. Until then, stay tuned to our blog postings.
1 thought on “Save the Planet With a Hemp House!”