First of all, make sure that the species you choose can coexist with each other and know the difficulty of caring for them. Fish can be excellent pets if we want to have pets but don’t have much room at home, time for them or are not ready to commit to the three daily walks that needs a dog. These pets also do not mess or can break anything. Also, if you have kids, they can learn what it is to take responsibility for an animal with them. In the article, we’ve listed ten species of fish of great beauty, but first, we will tell you some basic guidelines to take care of them.
Basic Fish Care
- Fish that Get Along: Let yourself be advised by an expert so that you do not make the mistake of mixing fish species that do not get along.
- How Many Fish? Likewise, tell the expert about the dimensions of your aquarium to guide you on the ideal number of fish. It is not a question of being overwhelmed. Do not throw the fish suddenly in the aquarium. If you find yourself in the moment of putting the fish in their new home, do not do it suddenly but little by little.
- Food: Once you have decided the types of fish that will be part of your aquarium, find out about their nutritional needs as well as if it is recommended to give some supplement to the usual food or at specific times such as reproduction. We recommend that you consult your trusted veterinarian on how much food and how many times you should give the fish so as not to overfeed them. In the market, there are automatic feeders that will feed the animals in those moments when you are not at home, or you go on vacation.
- Water Heater: If you would like to have tropical fish or those that need warm water to live, you will have to get a heater to maintain the correct temperature.
- Lighting: Fish should live in a bright environment but not in direct sunlight. We recommend purchasing aquarium lights from a pet store. Don’t forget to turn it off when it’s time to sleep.
- Aquarium Cleaning: Clean your aquarium properly to keep your fish healthy.
It owes its name to its discoverer Mr Lechmere Guppy. It is one of the most popular fish for its beauty and its ease of keeping and reproducing. The males are of more varied colours than the females. They have young every month.
Fish tetras are very colourful, alert and strong. They do not like to live alone or with a few of their kind.
Fish discs are notable for their intense colours and brands but can also be found in a single tone or pure white.
Fish killifish are easily maintained in freshwater aquariums. They have red, blue and orange colourations and the males are more colourful than females.
Fish bettas were formerly used by the Thai people to fight fish and were known by the nickname of Siamese fighting fish. Available in a wide variety of colours and types of fins, bettas are very elegant fish. They are easy to care for.
Fish gouramis are colourful, active, hardy and easy to care for. There are many colour combinations, all of the great beauty. Some gourami, like the one in the image, have a kind of whisker that serves as sensors.
These striped fish get their name from their smooth movement, like an angel floating in the water. They don’t have a problem with other fish unless they can eat them all at once. Although they can eat dry foods, they prefer to live ones.
Fish platy are very colourful, active and peaceful, so it is very common to find them in aquariums. They like to have raw food, but they also eat dry food and vegetables.
Fish Molly are omnivorous but prefer eating vegetables – they love having algae. They are good swimmers, sociable and coexist perfectly with other fish.
These fish like to live in groups that are not too numerous. Curiosity about them is that they eat their own eggs. The male follows the female laden with eggs, and as she deposits them among the plants, he eats them. The male rasbora has a more slender body than that of the female, and the typical triangular mark that he has on the side is sharper on him than on her.
Do you want to dive into the aquarium universe and have your own? Get in touch with Aquatee Fishland!